Are there configuration options for ES6 module resolution?

For my set up, my source files are written in ES6 module format with imports / exports and what nots. When I build, I use BabelJS to transform my source into SystemJS modules, which I configure to resolve modules much like I would configure RequireJS; using a “baseURL”, “paths” and “map” to help resolve my modules consistently.

This leaves me in a pickle when trying to resolve my modules when editing with Tern. If I set up my module dependencies to be relative paths, Tern appears to work. However, I seldom use relative paths to resolve modules, and instead resolve my modules using their full path from a “baseURL”.

Are there additional configuration options for the “modules” and “es_modules” plugins like there is for the “requirejs” plugin? Or does the requirejs plugin integrate with the modules plugin?

This doesn’t exist yet, but the good news is that Tern’s module resolution mechanism is pluggable, and you could write a plugin that provides this functionality. You can look at plugin/node_resolve.js for an example of a resolver plugin.

“pluggable” !== “readable” :smile:

When a module starts with:

(function(mod) {
  if (typeof exports == "object" && typeof module == "object") // CommonJS
    return mod(require("../lib/infer"), require("../lib/tern"), require("../lib/signal"), require)
  if (typeof define == "function" && define.amd) // AMD
    return define(["../lib/infer", "../lib/tern", "../lib/signal"], mod)
  mod(tern, tern, tern.signal)
})(function(infer, tern, signal, require) {
  "use strict"

I’m like … yea… Clean Code Handbook … (or maybe I’m just spoiled by the ES6 cleanness).

I’ve looked at the plugin/node_resolve.js plugin.

Isn’t it completely different constructed meaning that one would have to rewrite the es6_module/module plugins in the process?

Shouldn’t it be simplier to just adjust the existing methods to resolve the paths like you do in the requirejs plugin:

function resolveName(name, data) {

if (opts.paths) {
        var known = opts.paths[name];
        if (known) return flattenPath(base + known + ".js");
        var dir = name.match(/^([^\/]+)(\/.*)$/);
        if (dir) {
          var known = opts.paths[dir[1]];
          if (known) return flattenPath(base + known + dir[2] + ".js");
        }

… ???

Cheers :slight_smile:

Same use case here, I wonder if there’s an plugin in the wild that supports this that someone created?

I would write one myself but I don’t even know where to start using plugins/node_resolve as an example, it seems to me like it should be possible to just add support for a basePath configuration that can be passed to plugins/es_resolve? Then the base modules plugin would probably need to be updated to support a basePath config since my understanding is that es_resolve uses modules as a base? That would look the cleanest solution to me.